Translate

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Advice for New Card Makers (and Smaller Budgets!)

Often, when I share cards online or at craft shows, I'm often asked "How would I start?" It's all too easy to be overwhelmed by a new hobby and I know so many folks who believed that they needed to BUY ALL THE THINGS in order to make nice cards! It's such a shame, as this isn't the case at all and a stash of card, inks and, of course, stamps can be built up over time.



I normally recommend a small kit to start - excellent cardstock, a favourite black ink and one or two versatile sets that can be used fairly often - and I always recommend buying quality stamps and dies from CAS-ual Fridays Stamps! The high quality clear photopolymer stamps ensure a clean, crisp image or sentiment (and they don't deteriorate, like some cheaper versions!) These basics can be used to make a start; learn new techniques and become more confident.


For today's card, I used the Celebrate Set from the Short & Sweet Collection. All of the sets in this collection are smaller in size (around 3x4) and can be used over and over - and, even better, each set costs only $7.99. Each of the sets become more versatile by combining them with the co-ordinating die sets; varying the inks used; or trying new techniques.


Here I've used black ink to stamp one of the main sentiments in the centre of a card blank, then I've added a little interest with some of the smaller stamps. Some washi across the bottom and a few small sparkly stick ons add the final touches - and make an easy card look a little more sophisticated!